The 7 Types of Rest
There are actually seven types of rest, and all of us need a little bit of each type. They are:
1. PHYSICAL: This is what most of us think of when we think of rest. You can get physical rest in two ways: passively (meaning sleep) and actively — through restorative practices like yoga, getting a massage, or stretching.
2. MENTAL: You know that feeling after a long day of Zoom meetings where you’re exhausted but not exactly sleepy? That’s a surefire sign you need mental rest. Take a break from your computer, grab a snack, and zone out for a bit.
3. CREATIVE: Brainstorming new ideas and working through problems takes energy. Refresh your mind and feed your artsy side through a relaxing and creative activity – like playing an instrument, reading a book, or dancing around the house.
4. SPIRITUAL: When we spend too much time wrapped up in other people’s lives and drama, we lose our connection with our inner selves. Get some spiritual rest by meditating, communing with a higher power, or even just talking to a friend.
5. EMOTIONAL: Do you find yourself saying “yes” to everything? If so, you need emotional rest. Set clear boundaries, protect your energy, and allow yourself to say “no” to things that drain you. Also, try therapy!
6. SOCIAL: Spending too much time around other people can be draining. Take some time to yourself, reconnect with your feelings, and prioritize people who energize you.
7. SENSORY: Sensory overload is real, and with so many devices at our fingertips, it’s pretty common. Establish boundaries with your devices, schedule an unplugged weekend, or just turn your notifications off for a bit. You can also step back from media, like music and podcasts. Difficult, I know, but they also contribute to sensory overload.
Remember, you are worthy of rest.
Source: myselfcaresociety.com/blog/7-types-of-rest-that-dont-involve-doing-nothing/ ...